Monday 26 May 2014

A user member's message

This use member touches on some important points. (submitted May 26)


I don't get a lot of service from SAIL, but the ones I get are important to my continued health and well being.  Finally, with the replacement staff, they are rubbing the cream into my feet the way it is needed and I actually get to bed without my feet cramping.  They are caring, considerate and have a real understanding how important foot care is to a diabetic.  A year ago, we fought the government to save not only the SAIL program, but the jobs of the workers, because we appreciated what their care means to our lives.

We now have to hear the rude, nasty and mean derogatory remarks from the picketers and the lies about how they are underpaid, etc.  They are some of the highest paid "home care aids" in the entire city!

We have you the sun, and now you want the moon and starts too, and we simply don't have it to give you.

How do you rebuild trust and respect after it is being so badly abused?  I am not sure I will ever feel safe having them in my home again after the comments, etc.

This member goes on to describe specifics of the type of "service" provided by some of our striking care workers, including one that created an unsafe situation that later caused the member to fall.

This touches on a point that many user members didn't even realise until the strike started and their care needs were being met by replacement workers.

Our Health Care Aids weren't very good at their jobs.

I, personally, do not use SAIL, so I can only go by what I have heard from user members, and what I'm being told is that they are now receiving a high level of care they have never experienced before.  Until now, they did not know the care provided by the striking staff was inferior.

They are now aware of a standard of care that the striking staff simply had not been able - or willing - to give.



No comments:

Post a Comment