Wednesday 14 May 2014

AUPE retaliation and threats

A video of this incident will be made available as soon as possible.
Update: Video added below.


This morning (May 14, 2013), I went to drive my daughter to work.  One group of strikers moved in to block the driveway as soon as they saw me getting into my van. After I'd backed out of my spot and sat waiting, a woman saw my phone. Talking to no one in particular, she said, "Oh, they're still videoing us, if only they'd stop, they might get through."  This is the same woman who had made a similar comment before.
They were generally quiet and mostly ignored me, except for one guy who stood nearer my door and started talking at me.  At one point, my daughter heard (I did not) one of the strikers saying that our members who need care would "miss us when they're sick and dying." The way it was said, my daughter felt it was an actual threat aimed at our disadvantaged members.

In the end, they only let us through because another vehicle came up behind us, once again making it clear that I have been singled out for extra "treatment."
Another group had moved to the end of the block, by the Hecla building, waving and chanting at rush hour traffic.

The second incident happened as I left to pick up my husband from work (I was able to drive him in to the office after the picketers left).  As I was leaving my parking spot, the few people who were by the driveway called everyone else over.  Once again, the woman commented that they would let me through, if only I weren't recording.  The one gentleman who seems to be in charge began talking at me, calling on SAIL staff to comment (today is the first time I've seen more SAIL staff than outside people).  He did state that they knew I was a resident and moved between trying to gain sympathy for their cause and blaming SAIL for the strike.  He brought up that the SAIL staff were all ladies, as if their gender were an issue.  They also said they could be here as long as 244 days and made a number of comments blaming SAIL for the strike. As he spoke, it was mentioned that they wanted more than $28 an hour (I believe it was $28.80), but that they weren't trying to bankrupt SAIL. ( admit to being totally shocked on hearing that amount; there is no way we can afford that!)  He then called attention to the security staff and there being 5 on at once, asking SAIL staff if they ever had as many as 5 people on at once.  When they all said yes, and it was stated that they had 5 staff during the day and 4 at night, he switched to saying there were 8 security on at once, then commented that they weren't even there for me, saying, "and they left you", "Is security helping you?" and "they care about the SUV but they don't really care about you."  To me, it seemed that he was implying that I needed security to protect me from them, but that they (security) would not be there for me.  As he made these comments, two security staff came closer to the rear of my vehicle and I called one over, letting him know that I felt threatened by these comments.

As I spoke to the security guard, one of the picketers moved closer to listen to what I was saying. I did not speak loudly, but I did not try to hide what I was saying, either, so they likely heard me saying that I felt that they were threatening me.  At that point, everyone magically moved away from the front of my vehicle, without anyone saying anything about clearing the way.  As I drove away, the one woman called out to me, "have a good day.  If you shut your video off, we might let you though."

The repeated insistence that I shut off my video is something I also consider somewhat threatening.  Aside from the obvious coercion, blame-casting and intimidation in that statement, it makes me feel that the only thing keeping them from behaving in a more volatile manner is the fact that I am recording them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment