Sunday 25 May 2014

Mock Funeral - Sheila's Speech

Smooth “SAIL”ing....NOT!

My name is Sheila _____.  Before moving to the Artspace Co-op in 1998, I lived by myself without help.  This was not always easy.  Every now and again I would find myself needing assistance for something I hadn’t planned for.  Sometimes the need was as simple as cleaning up a spill.  Sometimes it was of a more personal and sensitive nature.  So, what did I do?

I called on neighbours to help. This could be both humbling and embarrassing.  And while many of my neighbours did help, it was not an ideal situation.  Neighbours are not always home when you need them.  Nor do they have training, experience or confidence to tackle some of the sensitivity of my needs.

When I moved to Artspace, I was delighted to learn about SAIL (Support for Artspace Independent Living). It is a small homecare service with staff on site 24/7 and it has been successfully running for about 24 years.  I was assessed and assigned approximately 3 hours a week for homemaking and laundry.  But the best part was learning about the On-call service.

Now if I had an emergency, or just needed help carrying groceries, all I had to do was pick up the phone and ask for help.  I had the freedom to be a neighbour just for the sake of being a neighbour!

 And I am in charge!  Unlike others who live in extended care facilities or similar places, I have a say as to when I receive my care.  Yes, it is on a schedule, but I can request time changes if I need to.  And it is my responsibility to guide the staff as to how best to meet my needs.  I am as free to live my life as fully and as independently as any other member of society.

 Now I am fearful of losing this independence and freedom.  If for any reason we lose our consumer-driven self-directed care, this is exactly what will happen. Not just for me, but for all of my friends here who live here and need and use this service.

 It has been disheartening to see our workers standing in a picket line with a bunch of strangers singing, chanting and name-calling.  I have such disdain toward them that they would stoop to the level of a bully.  I am awakened every morning around 6 am due their noisy nonsense and my stomach gets tied up in knots every time I leave or enter my own home! I don’t think I will ever feel comfortable enough to allow them back into my home.

 Don’t think this is just my story.  It is yours, too.  Think about it.  When you are older and become infirmed, or God forbid, you become paralyzed from a car accident on your way home today, would you be happy to hand over the control of your life to a service that will make all your decisions for you? Or would you rather stay in control and be your own boss for as long as possible?

I believe there is more at stake here than just a labour dispute. The issues run deeper than money.  Our freedom to live independently is being threatened!

Thank you for your time.

Sheila ____

No comments:

Post a Comment