Monday 16 June 2014

Member responses - Sheila's public statement

A message to AUPE and our striking staff, from one of our user members.

HEALTHCARE WORKERS
By Sheila [____]
It’s been almost 6 weeks since the strike/lockout began, and to tell you the truth, I’ve hardly given the workers any thought. Most of my energy has been taken up by the AUPE and their bullying tactics, and how to maintain my health and sanity. So here are some of my thoughts.
Healthcare/homecare workers are a vital part of our healthcare system. Some work in Seniors’ facilities, some work in hospitals/long term care facilities, and some work in private homes. It is the latter that concerns me the most as I live in my own apartment and receive help from homecare workers.
As is no secret, I live in the Artspace Co-op and we have a Homecare program called “SAIL” Inc. (Supports for Artspace Independent Living). Having homecare workers on site 24 hours a day has been a life saver for me more than once. I get help with homemaking and laundry, and I use On-call for anything else.
I have great admiration and appreciation for the workers who do their jobs in my home so that I can have the energy to live a fulfilling and productive life. I am thankful for the work our SAIL workers have done for me, but unfortunately, they are no longer working in my home…they are walking a picket line outside my highrise. This makes it very hard to respect them, but I’m trying to understand.
During the last few weeks I have asked many questions of many people, and I’ve done some on-line research. Here is some of what I’ve learned:
1. Our workers get paid $19.50/hr. Other homecare workers in Edmonton get paid $13 to $18.50/hrs.
2. Our workers work 8 hr shifts. Other homecare workers work 8 to 12 hr shifts, and some even work split shifts.
3. Our workers have 4 to 5 hours of scheduled service-the rest is down time when they are to be available for On-call. Other workers have little to no down time.
4. Our workers stay at one building, going to private homes to perform their duties. Other homecare workers have do drive themselves to each client’s home, usually with their own vehicles, and receive little to nothing in compensation for fuel, and wear and tear on their vehicles.
5. Many of our workers have taken a month off to go to their home country to visit their families, and then return to their position at SAIL. Other workers are only eligible for 2 (3 if they’re lucky) weeks off a year.
6. Benefits? I have to admit that this is one area I’m unclear on.
As I said, I am really trying hard to understand why our workers are so dissatisfied! When I review the above comparisons, it looks to me like they had it pretty good! So why strike?? I blame the Union. Our workers were happy in their positions for over 20 years. It wasn’t until the AUPE stepped in that our workers became unhappy.
In many ways I am disappointed with our workers. Instead of thinking for themselves, they choose to believe whatever the Union tells them. I feel sorry for them, yes I did say sorry, because they had a good thing going and now it’s in jeopardy. The moment they began to participate with and condone the bullying behavior instigated by AUPE picketers was the moment I lost total respect for them. All the good relationships I had with many of them is GONE. If they are allowed into my home again, the atmosphere will not be pleasant for any of us.
Yet, our workers are only human, and I can’t help but feel for them. They deserve good jobs with good wages, but if they want equal pay for equal work, then they’ll have to take a cut in pay. My hope is that they will realize that while AUPE is a huge and powerful union, it’s not size or power that determines who wins…it’s integrity and honesty.



No comments:

Post a Comment