Thursday 10 July 2014

A message to Brian Mason

This is a message to Brian Mason, written on Facebook, from Lorna Thomas, who's brother lives in Artspace, after seeing this post. (link below added for background)

The Provincial NDP is no longer my party of choice. Today I also stopped my monthly donation to the party. Why? The two NDP members of the legislature have shown blatant disregard for the horrors that have played out at Artspace Housing Co-op. Brian Mason has been silent on the impact that the AUPE strike is having on my brother and the other 187 people who live at Artspace Housing Co-op. Rachel Notley has also been silent, even when the picketers disrespected a former employee of the NDP party, a woman who was the Executive Secretary for Rachel's father. I sent Ms. Notley a letter, and left two phone messages, about the verbal abuse I heard directed at this 86 year old woman, an Artspace member. When this senior was heard criticizing the strike and the behaviour of the picketers,the picket captain said to her "Mr. Notley would be so ashamed of you." I beg to differ. I am confident Mr. Notley would have been aghast at the behaviour of those on the picket line and would have been proud of the way this senior spoke out in defence of the disabled who use the home care services of Supports for Artspace Independent Living (SAIL) . But the NDP of old has given way to a new party. As a friend recently said, "The NDP is now more interested in leadership than conscience."

No comments:

Post a Comment