Monday 21 July 2014

Messages to AUPE

On May 25th, Artspace held a mock funeral as a demonstration, and to send a message to AUPE.  Artspace members, friends and supporters were invited to write brief messages, which were placed into a casket and delivered to the AUPE's office on May 29.






When the casket was delivered, they were told (to paraphrase), "if you taunt a dog, it will bite." ... and that they should have made an appointment, first.

Here are just a few of the messages that were left in the casket.  (Note: some of these were written with assistance.  Most were anonymous; of the few that had names, they have been left off here for their protection.)

AUPE:
There is something very wrong when people’s needs, care and self respect is not the FIRST PRIORITY.
I support unionization and the welfare of workers – but not at the cost of care of other human beings.
Find your hearts & see the bigger picture where everyone can be cared for.


AUPE’s actions have been those bullies use. The poem the union brought and read was despicable. This is not a normal situation. Much awareness is required..this is not an institution. Disabled individuals are under extreme duress, stress, and unwarranted health risks.


Shame on you all. No need for verbal abuse, very degrading for a union as a whole.


There is something wrong when people facing so many challenges are required to take on the AUPE. Where’s the compassion?

I supported the thinking of the AUPE in its recent disputes with the GOA but not here. Now AUPE is the bully. Perhaps the AUPE will see the light and do what’s right, just as the GOA did under Premier Hancock.


I don’t understand why AUPE started or is continuing this action. But I don’t think there is any good reason to continue.

Stop, step back, and try another way.


AUPE – shame on you. Yes, workers have rights but the people of SAIL have their rights too that trump “union”.
The right to human dignity and independence are far more important.
AUPE – BACK OFF!!


I have the right to maintain my independence and self autonomy. No one has the right to devalue me or my ability to contribute to my community.


AUPE: respect is earned not owed. Once lost, hard to regain.
AUPE has lost any respect we once had for SAIL staff.


To AUPE
Your rude and degrading behaviours is disgusting. This is OUR PRIVATE HOMES and you are unwelcome here. 
You say you care about the people here, but your lies and actions prove otherwise.
We demand RESPECT and PEACE to live in our homes.

The greedy, overpaid people you represent also don’t care about the people they work with. You’ve taught them to lie and degrade. We want PEACE and RESPECT.



I want control of my life which you are threatening. I am a mother first a neighbour, not commodity with a price attached.


You are everything we teach our children NOT to be!!

Please show your good intentions by leaving a private home alone!


Quit harming defenceless people for monetary gains. Your actions do not benefit anyone, other than the bank accounts of the already disgustingly wealthy!!


Without Artspace people, SAIL workers would have no jobs!

Communication is always the key to any relationship. Can you consider a more productive means of communication?
The poem read out about “scabs” was disgusting. Who has taught someone to impede being helpful?
Union rights can be negotiated, being respectful should be automatic. Can this be something that is communicated to the picketers?
I am hopeful that AUPE will be very open to a peaceful answer. How can labour laws trump human rights?

To AUPE
Why are you doing this? I do not understand the tactics you are using to intimidate and bully the most vulnerable of us.
You are lying about the fact that the caregivers were not on the picket line.
I was, up until now, a strong union supporter but your behaviours has been despicable, disgusting and reprehensible.
Please stop this now.


Inhumane
What you are doing to those who live at Artspace is just that. For somebody with a disability, there is nothing more valuable than independence. You, AUPE, are taking that away from them.



Members of AUPE
In general I have been a supporter of labor rights over many decades but I DO NOT support AUPE in what you are doing with SAIL. If you could only really understand the lives needs, and aspirations of those needing the services of SAIL. I believe you would abandon this approach you are using . You have become BULLYS. Please withdraw this picket immediately and wait until August 2014 when SAIL will have renegotiated their contract with Alberta Health Services.
Thank you, Sincerely


To the largest union in Alberta:
We call upon your compassion;

We call upon your empathy’
We call upon your sense of justice;
To know your privilege, you are able-bodies & capable of changing this situation, this attack against people with disabilities – the most vulnerable citizens in our society.
This is not about money, management, this is about people, real people, who need compassion, empathy – who would work with you to keep their independence, their freedom.


To: AUPE
I’m shocked and appalled to learn how the residents of Artspace have been bullied by your workers. The resources and money is available to assist those who need it so the fact that there is any issue at all is ridiculous. The residents of Artspace shouldn’t have to suffer because of your reluctance to negotiate the terms of this strike. Get it together.


I am a nurse and I was very involved with UNA and 3 strikes. I, obviously, am very pro-union – But the way that AUPE is handling the situation with S.A.I.L. is, quite simply, appalling. I am ashamed of being an union supporter under these circumstances.


The workers seem to feel entitled to the raise they want. They feel entitled to being paid what care aids in hospitals get paid. What they fail to understand is that the workers at SAIL have fewer responsibilities and their level of care has dropped in the last few years!! But my experience is that those who complained, were rushed through my services and level of care dropped. And these are the people that want to be paid more!!
I deserve:
The right to direct my care any way I chose, not what is convenient to the caregiver,
I deserve not to be heckled outside my home!
I deserve to be treated with dignity
I deserve to keep my independence
I deserve to have home care on my schedule!
This isn’t a fight for higher wages, this is a fight for independence! And the right to live!!



No comments:

Post a Comment