Wednesday 22 October 2014

Making a Statement

On the last day of AUPE's convention, one of our members went to the Shaw Conference Centre to try and show delegates that there is a story here that they aren't being shown.

For a bit of background, Ken is one of our founding members.  He was among those who fought to have Artspace and SAIL created, so that people like him could live independent lives.  Thanks to him, all of us at Artspace enjoy affordable housing while being part of a dynamic community.  He has a lifetime of achievements, is a world traveler and athlete, and a real hero.  You can learn more about him on his website, backwheeler.ca

This is his statement about how things went on Saturday.

I went down to the AUPE convention with the two sign to try to get the Delagets to read them as they left the conference and maybe be      curious enough to go to my website to get educated about what is really happening here SO I FIRST SAT ON THE PUBLIC SIDEWALK JUST TO  THE LEFT OF THE FRONT ENTRANCE TO THE SHAW CONFERENCE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES THEN THE DELA GETS STARTED COMING OUT I NOTICE MOST OF THEM WERE WALKING TOWARDS THE MacDONALD AND WESTEN  HOTELS, SO I WENT TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SHAW AND SAT FOR ABOUT TEN MINUTE OF COURSE THE AUPE STAFF WERE VIDEO TAPING ME ALL  THE TIME I EVEN WENT UP TO THEM SO THEY COULD VIDEO THE SIGNS WHICH THEY DIDN'T LIKE  THEM I WENT FOR A WALK DOWN TOO THE MACDONALD TRYING TO GET THE DELA GETS A CHANCE TO READ THE TWO SIGNS, BUT THE STAFF CAME WITH ME KEEPING THE DELEGATES AWAY FROM ME AS FAR AS POSSIBLE EVEN REDIRECTING THEM TO AVOID SEEING THE SIGNS I THEN SAT AND LET THEM PASS  THE STAFF NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO ME AND I SAID NOTHING TO THEM.
I HAD FUN!
KEN

Here is Ken, with the signs the SAIL staff tried to prevent other convention goers from seeing.







You can read Ken's bio here.

Here is another statement from Ken recorded back in July.






No comments:

Post a Comment